Located in Berkeley, CA
The Torpedo Room is a great local place to have a session. The staff are friendly, patient and knowledgeable about their beers and brewing process. It's a standing-only brew pub with a low-key yet lively feel of enthusiasts. My bartender, the Mark Wahlberg look-alike -I nicknamed him "Mark" by the way- served me many a times, of which I'd gladly go back for another. I've called him Mark so many times I actually forgot his name...my apologies man!
It's a small joint so it can get crowded at times but the line usually moves quickly and you'd be surprised how many people can be packed into this room. There are also six-packs and bottles for sale in the fridge, which makes this place a 1-stop shop for your Sierra Nevada cravings - not to mention the beautifully crafted growlers available.
Visions of Sugar Plums 2014 .
Though only acquirable at a Sierra Nevada brewery location, it's still worth a sip. It's of the same lineage as the Ovila Abbey series, inspired by a collaboration with a Sacramento based Trappist monastery - Clairvaux. Definitely check it out if you're in the area!
- Appearance- Pours a true dark belgian ale, with a faint whisky head.
- Smell- Dark fruits such as plums, raisins, and a bit of spice.
- Taste- Malty by nature with a taste of dark fruits, caramel and coffee notes.
- Mouthfeel- Thick but smooth, lingers a small hint of alcohol.
- Overall- Belgian quad with a strong 10.2% alcohol content by volume, could be better if aged